"A community is both defined and sustained through continuous investment, of giving time and effort for a greater good."
Below are some of Ward's contributions to selected professional communities.
Professional Societies (see "Leadership" for offices held)
National Association of Schools of Music
- Commissioner, Commission on Accreditation (2012-2014)
- Visiting Evaluator (2009-present)
College Music Society
- "21st Century Music School Design," CMS Summit, University of South Carolina (2016). Summit Administrator (Director of Performance Degrees), leading the development of a proposed new curricular model for the Bachelor of Music in Performance.
- Executive Director Search Committee (2016)
- Professional Development Committee (2010-2015)
- Program Committee and Institution Host, Pacific Northwest Chapter meeting (2015)
- Mock interviews and career consulting sessions at national meetings in St. Louis (2014), Minneapolis (2010), Portland (2009), Atlanta (2008), Salt Lake City (2007), and San Francisco (2004)
- Nominating Committee (2012)
- Committee on Academic Leadership and Administration (2003-2010; see service as Chair under "Leadership")
- Program Committee for the national conference, Portland, Oregon (2009)
- Peer reviewer for College Music Society Symposium (2007)
- Treasurer, Northeast Chapter (1985-1986)Professional Development Committee (2010-2014)
Other Professional Service (selected)
- Tacoma Philharmonic Board of Trustees (2003-2010)
- Customer Services and Audience Development Subcommittee for the Performing Arts Steering Committee, City of Tacoma (review and development of a new operating agreement between the City and three City-owned theaters, 2005)
- Strategic Issues Research Center planning committee (initiative to develop more cooperative undertakings between the University and the greater Tacoma community, 2004-2005)
- Classical Music Council, Tacoma, Washington (performing arts coordinating board, 2000-2005; inactive as of 2005)